New Fund Launched to Support BE Volunteers
British Eventing is privileged to launch details of the Derek Gooden Fund in memory of one of the sports most dedicated and experienced volunteers.
The new fund will support current BE fence judges with their travel to Olympic or World Equestrian Games hosted outside of Europe.
Following his death in 2016, British Eventing was honoured to recently learn that BE Volunteer and Professional Adviser, Derek Gooden, generously dedicated a sum of his estate to British Eventing to set up a fund to assist fence judges with their overseas travel to events.
Derek, a recipient of the BE Award, was a vital part of the sport for many years and best known for his expertise as a Health and Safety officer and was an adviser in Health and Safety for many events, as well as a Cross Country Steward and Fence Judge.
BE CEO Jude Matthews commented; “All of us at British Eventing were very touched by the news and cannot think of a better way to honour Derek’s memory than through this fabulous Fund. Our sport could not run without the tireless dedication of volunteers, and to be able to help them travel to these incredible overseas events will provide some of our fence judges, who otherwise may not have been able to attend, with some fantastic opportunities and experiences.
“Volunteers who have applied for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will soon find out if they have been successful in securing a place as a Olympic volunteer, so we hope that through these bursaries we can support some of our volunteers with their travel to Tokyo this year.”
About the Derek Gooden Fund
- The Derek Gooden Fund will assist Fence Judges with a travel bursary for Olympic and World Games, where these are held outside of Europe.
- Fence Judges will be able to apply for a travel bursary once they have been accepted by the organising committee of the Games as a volunteer.
- Sue Clayton, Derek Gooden’s Will Executor, will be part of the awarding group along with representative of British Eventing.
- A maximum of £1000 will be offered in any one award year.
- Applications will be submitted to British Eventing.
Please email email@example.com with any questions or queries about the Fund.